Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chapter 2 : Change is in the Air

Captain's Log, Day 4


I started the day off by working on my garden, I needed something to relax me. My mind started racing the moment I woke up on whether or not I made the right decision last night. All the peace I had gained last night was shattered with the dawn. I am afraid that I will place too many ties here and when I can leave, I will choose not too. And yet a part of me wonders if that would be so bad. Well I suppose there is nothing I can do about this right now, I must take steps one at a time and with the first step of the day not even finished I had to hurry out and catch my ride for work.


Ruby, meanwhile, enjoyed a slow morning and some breakfast. Cereal is all I can offer her right now because I still cannot afford a stove, but it is better than just eating what I was able to harvest without even washing it, which I had survived on for the first day or two here. She really is an amazing woman, when I had shown her all that I had to my name for the moment, she took it in stride and although I saw a little worry in her eyes she said that it was just fine and she was happy that it was hers now too.


When she saw me rush off to work without finishing gardening, she attempted to finish watering the plants for me. It was her first time even thinking about watering plants, but I knew that she would do a great job and one day perhaps even like to work in the garden. Although, I did not approve of her gardening in her pajamas. Maybe if what she wore to bed was more decent I might not have such a problem with it, but really!


Without me even asking, she spent the whole day in the community garden harvesting more fruits and vegetables so that we would have more to eat and maybe even sell some of it to gain a little extra money. Although she was willing to do this for us, I knew that she still didn’t like others to see her so poor that she had to dig in the dirt just to get by. Knowing that made the act so much better and I love her even more for it.


I don’t know how, but I got promoted again today at work. They seem to like that I have proficient skill in gardening and am getting better at fixing things. They decided that I was trustworthy enough to be a Useless Contraption Manipulator. I don’t know how much of an improvement it will be on my daily jobs, but I am happy that it is one step closer to becoming a Creature-Robot Cross Breeder.


There really is only so much I can learn in the short amounts of time I have at home to garden, so after work I headed to the local “library” where I was told they would let me read any book I wanted for free. I was amazed that they didn’t charge for books. Why would you ever go to the bookstore if you could just read a book whenever you wanted for no cost at all? I’m not sure how the bookstore remains open, but I plan on utilizing the library as much as possible before they realize how much they could make for even a small fee to read here.


After a long day in the gardens, Ruby was hungry and wanted a way to relax before heading home. That’s when she heard that the local corner bistro was having a pie eating contest. There was no entry fee, but the winner got a prize. The promise of free food drew her in.


I was rather surprised that she was able to win, she looks so small, but I guess she was able to fit the most pies in her stomach. The grand prize was a thousand simleons too, which was nice. I was sure to congratulate her as soon as I heard the news, but I’m not sure she heard me since she was on cloud nine for the rest of the night.


Between her winnings and my promotional bonus, we were able to fully enclose our house and make it into more of a home. We even were able to get flooring in the bedroom so we didn’t have to walk on grass and a stove as well as counters and a sink. I think that Ruby was more happy about this than I. She really wanted a respectable home that she could bring friends to for parties, and we are getting close to having one.


Walling in the house came just in time. In the middle of the night we found out why she was able to eat all those pies earlier, Ruby was pregnant. She seems really excited for the baby and is hoping that it’s a boy. I think she knows that if it’s a boy and I bond with him, it’ll be that much harder for me to leave if I decide to when I can. I was also really excited for the baby. I had never had one before and secretly wished for a girl so that I can spoil her, although I know that whatever comes out or her, I will love.


Captain’s Log, Day 5


Ruby was noticeably pregnant this morning. I asked her about and she laughed. I guess I keep forgetting that time is different here and of course she would be noticeably pregnant. The pregnancy would only last a few days according to her. Which seems strange to me if every day you age a year, but what would I know, I am after all from another reality. She also said that she would be on maternity leave until she gave birth, but had decided that she didn’t want to entrust the care of her children to a babysitter all day, so she was going to call work today and quit right away. I was very glad to hear this because I still do not believe women should have jobs, it just doesn’t feel right to me.


Although we have a stove and oven now, I am still a little afraid to use them because I have no skill in cooking. Ruby has a little and made herself pancakes today, but I decided to stick to cereal before heading off to work.



Wearing the oddest maternity garments I’ve yet to see, Ruby went out to the community garden again today to help harvest some food. She spent all day there again, and returned home exhausted. But was still kind and thoughtful enough to make both of us dinner because she knows that I would have otherwise stuck with frozen meals or canned soup.


At work today, nothing much happened. My job seems pointless right now. I used to do this sort of work when I was really young. I just fix a few gadgets and modify them a little. The things I work on are very different from the things I used to play around with back home, but the concept is still very much the same. It became mindless work for me and the day passed quickly with no much to show for it.


When I returned home I was nervous about the baby. We did not have much of a home, no crib and barely any room to walk around. I was also nervous about the crazy pregnancy hormones that women are famous for. I should not have worried though, I was making enough to slowly update our home to fit the baby, and Ruby and I had the same amorous relationship even though she was heavy with child. I guess you really can’t change your nature.


As we fell asleep that night we made plans for the home and the baby. We would start with just putting the crib in the kitchen, but as money allowed, we planned on a nursery and then a room for the child near our room so we could look after him/her.


She fell asleep before me and I watched her sleep for a while. I really do love her, and this new life is slowly changing me, I can feel it. I think less and less of my old life, and although that scares me, the new life that I am living is a happy one. One that I would love to live under normal circumstances. But these are not normal circumstances. And so one day when I have to chose, it’ll be a hard choice. I am more and more confident in my choice of putting off the worry and decision making for now though, there is nothing I can do other than hurt myself and those I have come to love.


Captain’s Log, Day 6


Although Ruby is an amazing wife and takes the pregnancy in stride, I still have more to do in the mornings and I was up late last night, which means waking up later as well as helping her. Thus, I have to neglect the garden this morning and rush to work. I really want to gain promotions so that I get the bonuses because we need the money more and more now. At work I do my best and I feel like I’ll be getting another promotion soon.


Meanwhile, Ruby has developed a routine of taking care of the garden in the morning. I think she really enjoys it now. She then takes a trip to the community garden and gardens there for a while too, before wandering around there and talking to some of the people she knows. I was really surprised at how well she’s taking the pregnancy. She complains of nothing, no back pain, not mood swings, no hormonal cravings. If anything, she gets a little more hungry, but with our new stove, she’s able to cook as much as she wants.


I also love what the pregnancy is doing to her. She glows whenever I see her and it makes my heart sing. I don’t think that she knows this. Maybe I should tell her more often how I feel, but I don’t want to come across as too soft.


After work I headed back to the library and read a book on pregnancy. It baffles my mind how this whole time-stream works so I wanted to take this opportunity to study it. According to the book, Ruby was right, she should only have a few days of actually being pregnant, and then just “pop out a baby” as the book says. I don’t understand what it meant by “pop out the baby”, but I guess it’s some part of the magic and I’ll be able to witness it first hand soon. I think she might even have the baby tonight.


When I got home, Ruby was making us a nice big salad for dinner from all the vegetables she had picked today. I was about to come around behind her to give her a hug when she gave a small shudder and a low moan.


The look on her face said that she was clearly in pain. I backed away at first, not knowing what was happening, or what to do.


Once I realized that it was the baby coming, I freaked out, but only a little, and asked, not begged, her to tell me what to do. She said that all she needed was a for me to take a shower, eat my dinner and the clean up. This confused me because here she was giving birth, and she told me to just ignore it.


I would not have complied, but the look on her face told me that if I did not do as I was told, I would be in huge trouble. So I ate my dinner in silence as I heard her moan and groan in pain. Every time it almost became too much for me to bear, she would growl at me to leave her alone and just finish my supper.


I did not know just how strong and proud a woman I had married until tonight. I think it may have pained her more than she let on, but we had agreed before that a hospital visit would be too much and she wanted to have the child at home.


Since there was nothing else for me to do while I waited, I cleaned the kitchen and entire house. I wanted the place to sparkle when the baby came so that s/he would not get an infection, even if everything I had read earlier told me that was not how illnesses worked her. I guess some old habits die harder than others.


A strange glow caught my attention from the corner of my eye. I looked over and nearly fainted in surprise. Ruby was standing calmly as rainbow sparkles swirled around her.


They almost completely covered her. I could barely make out a wide grin on her face as she spun in the air.


Out of no where, a baby in a pink blanket fell out of the air and into Ruby’s arms. I was completely shocked. I guess this is what the book meant when it said that she would “pop out the baby” in just three days after conception. Of all the ideas I had had about what it meant, this was not even close to one of them.


Ruby held the baby close and told me that it was a girl. I tried to check, for this was too weird and strange for me to believe even though I had seen it with my own eyes, but the blanket would not come off. Ruby just laughed and said that the baby would be a learning experience for me. We would not be able to un-swaddle her until she had aged into a child, but she would wet her diaper and we’d still have to change it. I have no clue how this was to be done, but Ruby promised to show me because telling would not help at all.


We decided to name her Leila. It was a name that had been floating around in my head for a while in case we had a girl. I think it is a good, strong name, something our little girl will need in the life she has ahead of her.


That night was probably the happiest night I have had since I came here. True, my marriage night was amazing, but being able to hold your first child in your arms is a feeling like none other. Although Ruby had wanted a boy, the moment Leila entered her arms, she was even more in love with her than I, if that’s possible. The only reason Leila ever made it into her crib was because her mother was about to pass out from exhaustion.


As Ruby stood there holding Leila, she looked at me and said that even though she had dreamed of having 20 boyfriends since she was little, it was time for her to grow out of silly juvenile wishes. Ruby looked lovingly into Leila’s eyes and said that what she wanted to pursue now was to raise 5 beautiful children and watch them grown into 5 strong adults. I don’t know how we will make her dream come true in our current situation, but I do know that I will do everything in my power to make it come true, for I am now fully committed to this family and there is no turning back.

No comments:

Post a Comment